Sunday, May 12, 2013

Strong showing for J's Bikes/IHop Racing

1st and 3rd for J's Bikes/IHop Racing
Well, this was my 4th race in the last 4 weeks.  My previous 4 weeks race schedule consisted on 100 mile ultra, 15k, half marathon and the team duathlon.  Not sure what I was thinking when I 
Tom and John were 1st overall
signed up for all these races back to back but it was race day again!  My buddy Christina and I were competing in our very first team duathlon together.  I was doing the running portion and she would be doing the bike.  The race consisted of run a 10k, bike 41.2k, and run 5k.  We had been planning to do one of these together since last year, we signed up for it in January and here it was May 11th and it was time to race.  We were going to be up against some stiff competition with another J's Bike team competing consisting of Tom (my brother in law) and John (Christina's husband).  We knew they would bring it and we were up for the challenge.  Tom would be doing the cycling part and John the running part for their team. 

John is a very good runner, although he never gives himself enough credit.   All the runners started at the exact time.  There was a 5k race, 1k sprint and 10k following the same course starting at the same time.  I forgot about the 1k sprint taking 
place at the same time.  The gun sounded to begin the race and I was off at a blistering pace.  Like I said I forgot about the sprinters and was staying up with them.  I looked down at my watch and I was at a 5:12 pace for the first 1/2 mile.  The sprinters hit the turnaround and I found myself in 2nd place overall, out ahead of all the 5k people.  We then hit the 5k turnaround and I found out I was actually leading the 5k people.  I settled down into a more manageable pace after my blistering start.  First mile was a 6:36 pace and 2nd mile held strong at a 6:48 with mile 3 not far behind at a 6:51.  The blistering start was starting to take a toll on me though because I was already starting to tire.  We hit the turn around and I see John not more than 40 seconds behind me looking strong.  I just couldn't shake that beast!  I knew from there I had a fight to the finish on my hands.  Mile 4 was 7:06, mile 5 was 7:14 and mile 6 was 7:12 finishing the 10k in 43:40(6:59 pace).  Not my fastest time for a 10k ever but nothing to
frown over either especially with the punishment I had put my body through over the last 3 weeks.  I hadn't been able to train because of a sore left foot so I had lost some of my fitness and hadn't allowed my body to recover with all the races I've done since the 100 mile ultra.  I make a quick exchange to Christina and she is off on the bike looking strong and determined!  I tell Tom when I come in he better be ready because John
was right behind me.  No more than me saying that and there is John!!  John finished his portion of the 10k in 44:44(7:13 pace) and a new PR for his 10k time.  Only 1:04 behind me.

Christina and I were 3rd overall
Now for the bike.  They were doing 2 approximately 12.5 mile loops so we would be able to approximately calculate when they would finish based on when they came around the first time.  First loop around and Tom was the first one we saw first.  Not too far behind was Christina.  It was a pretty tough course consisting of lots of rolling hills making you have to shift gears often.  The weather was much colder than had originally forcasted.  Light mist and 44 degrees throughout the entire race made for some brutal conditions.  2nd lap around and Tom hits the transition area first.  Tom finished his ride with a impressive 21.8 mph average.  Another rider came in a little behind Tom and right behind them was Christina with an awesome 20 mph average!!  Wow, she was smokin it!!

Off for the final 5k.  My legs were tight from the cold and the wait.  I was about 5 minutes behind John and about 2 1/2 minutes behind the team in second.  I was going to give it my all.  First mile in was a 6:45 pace but I could tell from running so hard in the first 10k I wasn't going to be able to maintain that for long.  2nd mile was a 7:13 pace.  I could tell I was too far behind John to catch him when I saw him on his way back from the turn around.  He was looking strong, focused, and determined.  I did see the team that was in second and I had made up some ground on them.  I was focused on trying to catch them but I was running out of time.  3rd mile was a 7:06 pace finishing the 5k in 22:18 (7:12 pace). We finished in 3rd place overall finishing 48 seconds behind second and 4:38 behind first.  John finished the 5k in 22:29(7:16 pace) just missing his 5k PR.  Some incredible running by John!  Great performances by all teams which lead to 1st and 3rd place overall for the J's Bikes/IHop Racing Teams. 

Tom has been racing for 28 years and this was his first ever road race win!  So glad to be there and be a part of this fantastic accomplishment for Tom.  Great job to Tom and John.  A well earned victory.  Tom with his first ever road race win, John with a PR for his 10k.  I had the most awesome partner. Christina smoked a 20 mph average on the bike.  I was just happy to be a part and be able to share this awesome day, with awesome friends and be a part of such a great team.  Doesn't get much better than that!

I am also happy to say that my foot seems to be fully recovered and have not experienced any pain in it for the last few days.  Time to slowly start getting back to the training and up my mileage ever so slowly.