Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Run with Coach

Coach John Fallis qualifying for Boston at the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
Hanging out with the Coach after a football game.
Got an e-mail from my old football coach from High School this week saying he was going to be in town and was wondering if I wanted to go for a 10 mile run while he was in town.  My answer was of course YES!!  Had a great run with Coach John Fallis today! What an amazing run at the DePauw Nature Park!! Great running with him after all these years. He taught me back then that it was all about Discipline, Commitment, Enthusiasm and Effort. I still believe very strongly in that to this day. Felt like I was back in High School and he was kicking my butt all over again!! It was warm but a great afternoon run!! We had planned to stay around a 8:45 per mile pace but I think the excitement must have got to both of us because we ended up running the 10 miles in 1:22:55 for a 8:17 per mile pace.  Our splits were 8:24, 8:03, 8:13, 8:26, 8:25, 8:32, 8:20, 8:10, 8:20, and 7:53.  This past year he qualified for the Boston Marathon at age 68 when he ran a 3:40 marathon. He had to run a 4:10 marathon in order to qualify. So much for tapering today, looks like I'll have to start that tomorrow. I wasn't passing up an opportunity to run with the Coach!  Can't wait for our next one!

My first 100 mile ultra at the Indiana Trail 100 is 11 days away!!  Can't believe it is almost here!!  Why is it so hard to taper!  All I want to do is run!!