Sunday, April 28, 2013

Qdoba DINO Trail Run 15k

Well, it had been 1 week since finishing my 100 mile ultra.  It has been a really hard week for me.  Legs are tired and still stiff.  Recovery is getting better every day but still stiffness in both my calves and my left foot is sore.  The DINO series made it's way locally to the DePauw Nature Park on Saturday because the original course was flooded so it had to be moved to it's alternate location.  Right in my backyard in Greencastle.  I found this out on Wednesday and talked to Melissa about it.  We decided to sign up for it.  I decided I was just going to do a nice relaxing run.  They had 2 options, the 5k and the 15k.  Of course I decided on the 15k.  Melissa was going to do the 15k as well as our friends Marni, Sly and Katie.

The week leading up this consisted of not much running because of recovery.  I ran 1 mile Monday, 1 mile Tuesday, 5 miles on Wednesday, 1 mile Thursday, and 1 mile Friday leading up to this race.  I started out the race at a nice relaxing 8:57 pace.  Still faster than I had planned to run.  I had originally planned to do around 10 minute miles but was feeling pretty good.  2nd mile was a 7:41 pace, mile 3 7:13, then
7:11 at mile 4.  The adrenaline was kicking in because of the race.  I couldn't help myself.  My legs were starting to loosen up so I decided to go for it!!  Mile 5 7:31, mile 6 7:15, mile 7 7:08, mile 8 7:55, at this point I started to feel a little pain in my left foot but I was almost done so I decided to continue.  Mile 9 was 7:48 and mile 10 was a 7:49.  The course was a little longer than a 10k.  It measured 10 miles and I did it in 1:16:49 (average pace of 7:39 per mile).  Somehow I set a new PR for my 15k time.  I also finished 1st in my age group.

Katie finished 3rd overall female.  Melissa, Sly and Marni all tied on their time as they all held hands as they crossed the finish line.  Melissa took 2nd place in her age group.  Marni took 3rd in her age group and Sly took 2nd
in her age group.

As for my foot.  It is very tender today.  I am going to ice and take it easy the rest of this week.  If I'm not better by Saturday I will not be running at the Indy Mini in order to give it more time to recover.  I still will be attending even if I have to watch to support my buddies and my wife.  My next focus race is in 2 weeks when Christina and we will be competing in our first team duathlon together.

You ask was it worth it trying to push it so hard only 1 week after my
100 miler and my answer is yes.  My favorite place to run is on the trails and to take 1st in my age group there with some stiff competition was well worth the price I paid to run in this one.  Injuries heal and once I get back to 100% look out.  I'll be back better than ever.  As for the streak it is still going for the moment and will be evaluated on a day to day basis depending on how I feel but I look at it this way.  Yes I've punished my body the last 2 weeks.  Ran 100 miles followed up by an age group win at a 15k so was it worth it.  Absolutely!!