Saturday, March 2, 2013

Ultra Marathon Training Update

Probably not a good idea to run while you're drunk.  Think before you drink.
Well, I just finished up a 35 mile training run this morning running all over the town of Greencastle.  Well, lets just say I ran all over it several times this morning.  I started this run at about 2:30 am.  I'm trying to get used to running overnight as this will be key during the Indiana Trail 100.  Goal for this run was to run for 6 hours with an average pace between 10:30-11:00 per mile.  I finished the run with an average pace of 10:25 per mile.  Right below goal.  This made me very happy.  Weather was about 20 degrees for a majority of the run with a slight breeze.  I had a drunk college student attempt to join me at about mile 20 today but he didn't last long.  He got about 400 ft and did a face plant.  Looked like it hurt.  He was trying to show off for his girlfriend.  He must have been OK though because on my next time around he wasn't laying there.  Just goes to show you need to think before you drink!

My training has been strong and I am feeling more confident every week about finishing my first 100 mile ultra coming up on April 20th.  During the month of February I had a record for mileage run in a month.  During that month I ran 275 miles.  I ran for 42 hours in February.  I also ran for Almost 10 miles per day.  I beat my previous record of 247 miles that a set in January and 245 miles that I ran in December.  I have been running a 30+ mile run on Saturday followed by a 20 mile run on Sunday.  Doing this gets me used to running on tired legs while not taking as long to recover from lets say one 50 mile run.  I have had PR's in my last 3 50k's for 3 straight weeks with my most recent PR being a 4:47 or a 9:17 pace during a training run.  I've logged a total of 554 miles so far in 2013 which is well on my way to my goal of running 2500 miles in 2013.  I'm getting excited about April and can't wait to see what I can do!!