Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patricks Day Weekend Fun

Corey and I from last years Howl at the Moon 8 hour Ultra
Saturday I started with a run at the DePauw Nature Park.  I ran with Craig, Drew, and Logan.  Pretty fast paced run for me especially being on trails.  Ran 6.5 miles at a 7:28 pace.  It felt good to open it up a bit from the pace I have been running on my 30+ mile runs to be able to show myself I still haven't lost my speed in training for this 100 mile ultra.

Sunday morning started with a hour and fifteen minute drive to run with my friend Corey and a couple running buddies of his.  Corey and I are friends from High School and it isn't often we are able to get together for a run.  Started the run at 5:30 am so I had to leave the house at 4:00 am in order to make it in time.  We ran 10 miles at 8 minutes per mile and the entire run felt great.  Had negative splits and the last mile was at a 7:40 pace.  Wow.  2 days in a row with a very solid pace.  So great to get to run with Corey and his friends today.  Can't wait to do that again sometime soon!!

Got back home from my 10 miler and my town was having a local 5k race.  Decided to go ahead and run it just for fun.  Boy am I ever glad I did.  I took first place overall, had a new PR, ran it in 19:21 for a 6:14 per mile pace!!  I sure wasn't expecting that after my 10 mile run from earlier in the morning.  Definitely proved to myself I haven't lost my speed on my shorter runs.  I'm thinking that all these 31 mile runs are somehow helping with my shorter distance speed as well.  The way I see it, If I can do a 31 mile run every week, I can sprint a 5k.  Pain is only temporary and it feels so good when you are done.  Great fun with friends.  That's what it's all about!!

Lisa and I having some fun after the 5k
Chrissy and I after the 5k

Becky and I first overall male and female
Me hanging out after the race.