Monday, October 29, 2012

Cyclocross Suffering

Me doing some major suffering.

Well, Saturday was the big day.  My very first cyclocross race.  I wasn't really sure what to expect but from what my friends had told me, it was intense.  That it was.  I can honestly say that was one of the hardest, most intense things I have ever done.  People asked me, was it harder than my 55 mile run I did and I can honestly tell them yes.  It was that hard.  I enjoyed it too and want more.  It started with us lining up 6 across.  As they called our names we came to the start line.  My goal for this race was to not finish last.  It was about a 40 minute race where we would make 4 laps.  Approximately 1.9 miles per lap.  If I was going to pick a course to be my first one I might as well pick the toughest one of the year.  A lot of the guys said how this course was the toughest one they had this year.  Was it ever hard.  There were several sections of the course where you had to run up the hill.  Well by the 4th lap, I was just trying not to fall down while pushing my bike.  There was one hill, lets call it bull shit hill.  My first trip up the hill I threw that bike on my shoulder and ran up it like a champ.  What's so hard about that??  My second trip up bull shit hill I was carrying my bike but not nearly as fast.  My legs were hurting some at this point.  My third trip up bull shit hill I pushed my bike up it while trying to get up.  My 4th trip up bull shit hill was just plain bull shit!!  I was leaning on my bike while trying not to fall over.  Oh the suffering.  I have never experienced something that hard and that intense in my life.  It hurt but was such an awesome feeling.  I loved it and can't wait to do it again.

Oh, yea!!  I finished and didn't finish last.

The guys on the J's Bikes Racing Team were pretty awesome and supportive.  There were lots of them yelling at me to get my butt in gear.  Come on, you paid to do this now get on your bike and ride it you wimp. All kidding aside they really helped to push me along to help me finish.  A great group of guys.

I also wanted to give a special shout out to my brother in law Tom, Christina, and John.  Without my awesome training buddies I wouldn't have been able to do that.  Thanks for working with me and being so supportive.  You guys are awesome.  An experience I'll never forget and I will be back for more races!!  It was awesome!!  If you are looking for an intense workout you can't get any better than that!!  Hardest thing I have ever done!!  By the way, I didn't get last!!
Grace looking bad ass with her 1st place finish!
Christina looking bad ass as always!!
Christina with her awesome 2nd place finish
John sporting some mean pink socks

Grace with her 1st place finish.
Me suffering some more
John and I before the race
Tom, Christina helping Kylie in her first race.


Christina finishing strong!!

Christina running along side Kylie as she finishes her first race.

Go Kylie!!

John blowing by some guy at the end!!

1st place for Marek!!
Superman Tom crossing the finish line!!