Tuesday, May 8, 2012

When Nature Calls

This morning when I got up I was feeling down.  Just one of those mornings you have sometimes.  You just don't know why, you just do.  Was planning on running 9 miles this morning.  Headed out with Jeff and Becky at 5:30 am and hit the road.  Had a nice 4 mile run with them which helped to cheer me up a bit (great how good friends can do that to you) then headed over to the DePauw Nature Park to finish up with another 5 miles to get my 9 mile total. 

Felt good to get out on the trails this morning.  This is Katie's favorite place to run and when we went on a 14 miler her a couple weeks back I really enjoyed it out here.  Thank goodness she showed me the way that day or I would have gotten lost today.  Temperature was perfect.  A little cooler and a lot less humid than it had been recently.  Perfect weather just to enjoy nature.  I took off.  Really didn't have a route in mind.  When I got to a certain point with mileage I would just head back making sure I got my 9 mile run in.  At about 6 miles into the run I decide to just forget about time and forget about distance and just enjoy nature.  This was one of the most relaxing runs I have been on in a while.  To forget about my time, forget about my pace.  That was a new one for me.  It was just what I needed.  Was able to clear my mind and just enjoy nature.  What a wonderful thing and a wonderful feeling that is.  When I decided I was done with my run I looked down and stopped my Garmin.  I had gone a little over 13 miles in under 2 hours.  Something about nature just gives you that feeling that you can run forever.  That is exactly the way I felt this morning.  What was supposed to be 9 miles ended up being 13 and it felt great!!

I told Katie a couple weeks back after our 14 mile trail run I was going to start doing more trail runs at the Nature Park just because of the way it makes you feel at peace when you are out there in nature.  After today's 13 mile run there is no doubt I will start running here more often.  It's one of the best places to run.  Sometimes you have to just forget about everything, get out and just enjoy nature.












Mike