Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Favorite Running Quotes

Since I ran 20 miles yesterday I decided to take it easy today.  Ran 1 mile to keep my running streak of 170 days in a row alive.  I thought I would talk about something that motivates me.  I love to read quotes about running.  With the Marathon coming up soon I thought I would share some of my favorite quotes about running and marathons. Now I am a huge Steve Prefontaine fan so a lot of the quotes that inspire me are from him.

1.  "Nobody is going to win a 5,000 meter race after running an easy two miles. Not with me. If I lose forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself."-Steve Prefontaine

2.  "I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it."-Steve Prefontaine

3.  "Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."-Steve Prefontaine

4.  "I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart."-Mike Fanelli

5.  "At mile 20, I thought I was dead. At mile 22, I wished I was dead. At mile 24, I knew I was dead. At mile 26.2, I realized I had become too tough to kill."-Unknown

6.   "In the first half of the race, don't be an idiot. In the second half, don't be a wimp!"-Scott Douglas

7.  "There will be days you don't think you can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime of knowing you have."-Unknown

8.   "The fastest way to the finish is running." I told myself this at miles 23 and 24 of my first marathon when I wanted to walk.

9.   "Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the ones doing it"

10.  "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?" Peter Maher

11.  "Hills are speedwork in disguise."--Frank Shorter

These are just a few of my favorites.  There are several ones out there.  No recovery runs for me.  Planning a 5 mile run in the morning then a 8 miler on Friday.  Gotta get ready for the next big race.

Mike