Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hills Help!!

Last night I took a quick 1 mile run at the Nature Park.  I had to keep the running streak alive.  I haven't missed a day of running at least 1 mile since Thanksgiving 2011.  Over the last couple of weeks I have been talking about how I have been training more and more on the hill covered trails at the DePauw Nature Park.  I definitely think it is starting to pay off as far as increasing my speed.  For example, on Monday Katie and I did a little over 5 miles at a 7:22 pace.  I felt really good afterward and felt like I could have done more. 

Last night I did a quick 1 mile run at the nature park with hills.  Busted out 1 mile at a 5:31 pace.  I have only gone under 6 minutes per mile a few times and this was significantly under 6 minutes per mile.  My fastest mile was this winter when I did a 5:18 mile.  5:31 really didn't feel that bad either. 

Tonight I wanted to do 4-5 miles at a comfortable pace.  My slowest mile ended up being my first mile.  It was a 7:12 mile.  They just got faster from there.  2nd mile was a 7:08, 3rd mile was 6:57, and 4th mile was a 6:52.  Ended up 4.41 miles at a 7:00 per mile pace.  I got done and really felt good.  I really didn't feel like I was pushing too hard and still had a lot left at the end.  Hills definitely have been helping to increase my speed.  That is why Katie has gotten so fast.  She does a lot of hills and training at the Nature Park.  When you are used to training on hills and then get on a flat road your speed is going to continue to increase.  I am going to stick with my plan of killer hill workouts and the road about once a week.  It seems to be paying off big time.  Hills Help!!

Mike