Saturday, April 21, 2012

We Run for Jenni

Susan G. Komen, Race for the Cure.  Great race for a great cause.  Wow, what a difference a day makes.  Yesterday we had perfect temps all day 65 degrees and sunny.  Couldn't have asked for better weather.  Today, not so lucky, although the rain did hold off.  42 degree temps at race time but gloomy.  Not cold by any means but with the crazy weather we have been having in Indiana this year it felt cold.  Anytime is a good time for a run though.

I had a great group of runners with me today from the Greencastle Running and Fitness Club.  I love hanging out with these guys and gals.  They are such a fun group and make races and running so much fun.  One of the things I like most is the support we all give each other during our runs and during the races.  Almost like a family, in fact I like to think of it as my running family.  Always lots of fun with plenty of pictures.

This run holds a special place to Melissa's (my wife) and my heart.  Her mom passed away from Breast Cancer at the early age of 39.  Every race Melissa has a sign she puts on her back that says, "Running in memory of my Mom, Jenni Norden, my Angel running beside me!  Love you mom!!  Although I never met Melissa's mom because of her passing at such a young age I feel I know her.  The amazing stories Melissa tells me about her is like I have known her for years.  She was a truly amazing woman. I felt she was there with us in spirit today as we were running the race.

The course was a very flat course.  Figured even after just one week after completing the Marathon in St. Louis I could pull off a descent time for the 5K.  Besides I would only be running for 20 minutes or so and not 4 hours.  Legs felt strong at the start so I was off.  Looked down to start my Garmin and it had went to sleep on me.  Stupid thing.  Oh well I started off strong and kept going.  Finally Garmin had located satellites and I could start it after about 1/4 mile in.  Really wasn't able to keep an accurate pace so I would just wing it.  I was passing runners left and right.  Felt strong and about mile 2 I see this kid that couldn't had been more than 12.  This kid was a beast!!  I caught him and stayed with him for about 1/2 mile.  We talked for a minute.  I told him he was doing a good job.  He said, "Why thank you" hardly breaking a sweat.  We saw the finish and he accelerated leaving me in the dust.  Wow!!  Talk about a moral crusher.  I got smoked by a 12 year old!!  I look back at that and smile.  I thought to myself, I might have just gotten passed by the next Steve Prefontaine.  Wish I had gotten an autograph afterwards just in case.  My final results for the race was 20:47, Pace 6:41, 32 out of 814, and 9 out of 91 in my age group 30-39.  This was also the fastest 5 K race I have ever had even including High School!!  Wow the old man does still have something left in the tank!!  Every mile was consistent and under 7 minute miles.  I felt great after the run.

Overall a perfect day with great friends.  Great race for a great cause.  Hopefully one day they will find a cure for Breast Cancer but until that day comes we Race for the Cure.  Love you Jenni.  Always in our hearts.

Mike